As a big concertgoer, I grew up on Stubhub, and as a frequent user, I always thought that they should offer Stubhub fan codes to loyal buyers. Now they finally do. However, after looking at what you can save using Stubhub coupon codes and fan codes, I have to ask, do the savings from Stubhub’s fancodes justify StubHub’s high fees? Most people don’t realize that the majority of tickets on StubHub can bought without the fees, saving you much more than you would if you used even the best StubHub code (jump to Is There A Better Way to Save? for more on this point; otherwise, read on to learn more StubHub fan codes).
- 1 StubHub Fan Codes Pros & Cons
- 2 Frequently Asked Questions about StubHub Fan Codes
- 3 Is There A Better Way to Save?
StubHub Fan Codes Pros & Cons
The Pros of Using Fan Codes:
- Stubhub fancodes are free to obtain and dead simple to use.
- All you need to do is sign up, and you can start earning in 2-3% of your future purchases as rewards for use in later orders.
What to Look out for when using Fan Codes:
- Stubhub fanrewards requires you to sign up
- You have to spend $2,000 or make 10 purchases to become a superstar (i.e. get 3% off)
- You have to spend money to save money – you only earn rewards after you purchase something (i.e. if this is your first time buying tickets through the reward program, you won’t be able to use a fan code for this purchase, but you would for the next one)
- Codes expire after only six months
- The fine print is a little misleading. “Seat upgrades” only occur if there is a problem with your order, and fan codes can only be earned from and used on “eligible purchases”. This means you won’t earn rewards for purchases that make use of a fan code or other form of discount like a gift card.
StubHub Fan Codes – What You Need to Know
StubHub’s coupon codes are only made available after you make a purchase, and can only be put towards a future order. So, if you are looking to save on tickets that you want to buy soon, and you don’t already have a coupon code, StubHub’s Fancodes program won’t help you.
There is a major loophole in StubHub’s coupon codes policy. You see, it’s the
Elephant Oak Tree in the room that StubHub never talks about – their fees. StubHub charges upwards of 10% to buy tickets and marks up the inventory they receive from fans listing tickets anywhere from an additional 10% to an additional 15%. Meanwhile, StubHub’s Coupon Codes only give you a 2% off future orders (note, if you spend $2,000 or make 10 purchases, you can get 3% off).
What is a discount code for 2-3% off worth when they’re charging you 10% to buy tickets as well as the 10% to 15% fee that sellers are getting charged?
Frequently Asked Questions about StubHub Fan Codes
What is the difference between StubHub fan codes and StubHub fan rewards?
This can be confusing. StubHub fan codes are the promo codes that you earn when you buy tickets after signing up for StubHub’s fan rewards program. Fan rewards is the program you sign up for. Fan codes are what you actually receive.
What is the difference between a fan code and a coupon code or promo code for StubHub?
While they technically do the same thing – save you money off your purchase – fan codes are only earned when you spend money on StubHub through the fan rewards program. At the same time, StubHub will very occasionally send out other types of promotions, including promo codes unrelated to their fan rewards program. See below to learn more about StubHub promo codes.
How can I find StubHub promo codes?
Stubhub coupon codes and promo codes are only available directly from Stubhub (they create unique codes for each user which is tied to an account), so searching on Google for a discount code is worthless. You can sign up for StubHub’s promotional e-mails here. There’s a decent chance you’ll receive a promo code via email if you wait long enough.
Is There A Better Way to Save?
There is. It’s called TickPick. What many people don’t realize, is that the majority of the tickets on Stubhub can be bought on TickPick without the fees. TickPick was started in 2011 as a response to StubHub’s crazy high fees – TickPick’s customers save an average of 10-15% on every purchase. No fan codes required.
If you are looking to save money on tickets, remember that ticketing companies that charge high fees will try to disguise those fees using coupon codes, rewards programs, and loyalty programs. TicketsNow does it. VividSeats does it. StubHub
does it no longer does this, however the large fees (25% in total) still exists. It’s a fact of modern marketing. But are those fan codes, promo codes and loyalty programs worth the higher fees? We don’t think so.
Check us out. You’ll be glad you did.
As seen in: