It’s that time of year again, when New York City’s Global Citizen Festival announces its lineup and regulations for ticket acquisition. This year, the rules are slightly different, so we thought we’d give you a new run-down on how to get free tickets to the 2018 Global Citizen Festival. But first, the lineup.
This year, the Global Citizen Festival will feature musical guests Janelle Monae, Cardi B, The Weeknd, Shawn Mendes, Janet Jackson, and a special guest appearance by John Legend. Not to mention the celebrity guests: Hugh Jackson and Deborra-Lee Furness will act, again, as hosts of the festival. Kal Penn, Danai Gurira, Rachel Brosnahan, Forest Whitaker, and others will serve as co-hosts. And, according to Global Citizen, not one of these A-Listers is getting paid. Everyone is donating their time for the cause.
What’s the reason for this epic concert, taking place in New York City’s iconic Central Park every year, for the past seven? It’s to bring musicians together with activists, music fans, and millions of Global Citizens across the globe to call on world leaders to fulfill their obligation to achieve the United Nations Global Goals for Sustainable Development, and end extreme poverty by 2030.
Much like the music festivals of the 70’s and 80’s, the Global Citizen Festival is a platform to demand world leaders give attention to a number of key policy issues. The 2018 Global Citizen Festival will be focusing their actions toward: ensuring people don’t suffer needlessly from preventable diseases; giving every child access to a quality education; getting US states to banish child marriage with new laws; making sure all people have access to enough nutritious food and clean drinking water; prioritizing menstrual hygiene; reducing the amount of single-use plastics that are used; eliminating bail bond programs that unfairly target the poor; and more.
Now, the crucial details: How do you get tickets to the 2018 Global Citizen Festival? According to the Global Citizen website, there are six steps to becoming one of the lucky audience members to see Janet Jackson, Shawn Mendes, The Weeknd, and more in Central Park on Sept. 29th.
- Download the Global Citizen App. Either sign in, or sign up if you aren’t already registered.
- Open the app on or after Aug. 7, and start taking actions to earn Festival Points. These actions will be things like sending tweets and emails or making phone calls to leaders, asking them to make commitments on specific, Global Citizen issues. Note: This year, all actions must be made during business hours of 9 a.m. to 5 p.m. EST. You’ll be able to choose which actions you take as long as you earn enough points. You’ll be told on Aug. 7, or when you register, how many points you need to enter for a ticket.
- Once you’ve taken enough actions and earned enough points, you will be eligible to enter into a draw for a free pair (2) of tickets to the Global Citizen Festival in Central Park.
- You’ll be notified by email letting you know if you’ve either won tickets or if you need to try again in the next action journey.
- If you don’t win, don’t fret; there will be a total of four chances to win tickets throughout the campaign. Watch your inbox for details on when new action-taking opportunities are starting.
- And if you win…congratulations! You can start getting pumped, begin deciding who to bring with you to Central Park, etc. And, if you like, you can keep taking action to earn more tickets, making September 29th a night to remember for you and your friends.
Is there a way to simply purchase a 2018 Global Citizen Fest ticket? Yes. This year, Global Citizen Fest organizers are allowing music fans and supporters purchase “VIP GA” tickets, starting at the quite affordable—given the amount talent—price of $99. But we have an even more affordable inventory of 2018 Global Citizen Festival tickets, which will only get bigger as we near the fest.
Is buying a “VIP” ticket worth the price? We think so. In the past, there have been extremely long lines to enter the festival. And because of the Global Citizen Festival’s growing popularity, we think fans can expect these lines to remain long. Not only that, but your place in line dictates which section of the Great Lawn you are confined to for the entire concert. Some of these sections don’t even sell alcoholic beverages.
So why chance it? Considering how incredible the 2018 Global Citizen Fest lineup is, we think the VIP price is worth it to cut the stress out of seeing some amazing artists. Not to mention, it’s all for charity! This year alone, Global Citizens have secured 29 commitments totaling more than $2.9 billion, set to affect the lives of more than 501 million people by 2030.
If you have any questions, feel free to contact us here, or on Twitter. And for those of you embarking on a charitable journey towards tickets to the 2018 Global Citizen Festival, good luck, and we’ll (hopefully) see you there!